San Diego DUI, DWI, OUI and Drunk Driving Penalties:
Driving Under the Influence, Driving While Intoxicated, and Operating Under the Influence are closely related crimes, but they can all have the same result: loss of your driver’s license, a stiff fine, embarrassment, and even jail time. Although DUI, DWI, and OUI are relatively common grounds for arrest, few people are familiar with their rights and know how to defend themselves once they are charged.
There are many issues to be considered when you are charged with a DUI. Among them are:
- Was the arrest legal?
- Was the field sobriety test (if any) conducted correctly?
- Was equipment used to test blood alcohol levels accurately calibrated?
- Was the evidence correctly handled?
- Did the arresting office commit any type of misconduct?
Many people who believed themselves guilty have been able to avoid serious penalties when the court decided one or more of these issues in their favor.
California DUI laws are some of the toughest in the nation. Typical penalties in San Diego are:
- 1st San Diego DUI Offense: Four (4) months license suspension
- 2nd San Diego DUI Offense: One (1) year license suspension
- 3rd San Diego DUI Offense: One (1) year license suspension, possible confiscation of vehicle
- Any offense: possible mandatory alcohol education & treatment
- Ignition interlock device installed on vehicle
Penalties may also include possible jail time, fines, and community service. Penalties are harsher for second and third offices. If you have been charged with a California DUI, DWI or OUI, contact an experienced San Diego DUI defense lawyer at Steigerwalt Law Firm for a no-charge, no-obligation initial consultation. We look forward to helping you.